Thursday, June 18, 2015

Tippy's Favourite Blushes (Part 1 - Shimmer)

With cosmetological advances, there are plethoras of blushes released from time to time; Cream to Liquid to Powders, and even transitional cream-to-powder forms as well! I wanted to show you my all-time favourite blushes by far, dissecting them by their brands, then cross-comparing them with similiar colours. They will be in 2 separate posts; today's covering the more "shimmery" shades, and the next being all about the matte-er ones.

A word of warning: all these are my favourite blushes, you may find some parts of this series repetitive when Im comparing their application/ touch, or maybe you will go "ALL OF THEM SO GOOD MEH?" But yes, precisely because all of them are great to me, I've included them in here! I emphasize again, that I did not include those I didnt like - All products in this series are bought with my own hard-earned money, or gifted by my friends. All opinions are my own.

Shimmery Blushes
To me, Shimmery Blushes give off such a glow that they can double-act as a highlighter. Besides the two star powders from Gerard Cosmetics which I reviewed Here, the other highlighter/ blush that I'm quite impressed with are those recently released by NARS: "Dual-Intensity Blush Duo" - I bought them for my mom for Mother's Day!

Left to Right: Adoration Duo, Fervor Duo

Sorry they looked used- because they are. I haven't decided to open this blog until lately so these reviews are on products that my mom and myself have been using or have already just started using!

These beautiful NARS blush arrived in a "brick" pattern with embossed lines, they are shimmery and long-wearing, and feel like wet powder that don't budge from where they are placed unless you have a very oily skin type. They can be applied both on its own or wet, and the latter being lower in intensity. These are limited edition and available at Robinsons Orchard, NARS Counter for SGD$60 (not including GST). Here are some corresponding swatches (dry, swapped only once):


Next up will be from a brand loved by many - Colourpop. I'm sure many of you have already heard of them and their creams-to-powder intense pigmentation + consistency. I lusted over them since last year but didn't get any because they aren't available to ship to Singapore yet! However, as my birthday gift earlier this year, one of my childhood friends (who is currently in New York working) decided to ship a truckload of products from this brand to me! I feel so intangibly loved and blessed, thank you sisssssy! If you're reading this, I love you duper duper much <3 Without further ado, their recently-released highlight range -

From left to right: Stole the Show, Wisp and Tasty.

Similiar to their eyeshadows, these are sponge-y to the touch and are best applied with fingers / synthetic flat brushes. BUT that is not all! These are NOT creams, and feel like powder AFTER application.. and are only USD$8 a pop! The above picture are their sample sizes - they released these as gifts with purchase - the same size as their shadows which are USD$5 per pop. If you have a way to bring them in from the states, click Here for the link.

Corresponding swatches (swapped only once):


The one I thought looked most mundane in pictures surprisingly was my favourite out of the three; some duo-chrome properties can be seen in Tasty; a pink glitter within a coral hue - which I managed to capture only on video:


Speaking about duo-chrome properties.. next up will be from one of my favourite brands: Tarte! Being a student, my first ever blush from them felt very expensive for me (SGD$45 in Sephora), and I purchased it in a single shade- Amazonian Clay 12-hour Blush in 'Glisten'. I removed the packaging so it can fit in my ZPalette with my MG blushes (: So here is the product in its pan:


Glisten is a beautiful coral-pink filled with gold glitter that reminds me of NARS' well-raved blush in 'Orgasm'. It has been over a year since I purchased it- until today, I love it and rarely use it because I don't want to ever run out of it. Below is a swatch:


I don't only own 1 blush from Tarte: below is the gorgeous palette 'Pin-Up Girl" (SGD$59) - it contains 2 shimmery and 3 matte Limited Edition shades. I know I shouldn't be including the matte shades in this post but its in the palette together ><" It doesn't look like your regular palette in a box- the powders are safely clasped within a soft exterior clutch. I ADORE this packaging. This is a Christmas gift received by another childhood friend of mine (I'm such a blessed girl, right!?) Thank you, love!


Colours Top down (Swatches from Right to Left - all colours swapped only once):
Irreplaceable, Bashful (Shimmery), Whimsy, Embraced (Shimmery), Breathless.

Last colour on the left (not in the pin up palette) : Glisten.


Before I end this post, I will just finish this section up with 3 shimmery individuals that I love from 3 different brands -


In their packaging and the swatches (Left to Right, swapped once): 

Laura Mercier 'Highlight 01'- A very fair white shimmer with a hint of pink - a very very subtle glow for fair-skinned ladies!

 Too Faced 'Snow Bunny'- When mixed all together, they give a very pinkish gold glow, I like to use it when I am wearing a very natural look and want a healthy glow to my face.

Sigma Beauty 'Sweet Thing'- This is very similiar to the duo-chromed 'Glisten' from Tarte, just darker in pink towards the rose-ish hue.



Alright, that is all for now! I hope this review + swatches helped! :>

Just a short notice here: Even though some of the pictures may not look as "great" when in comparison to the pictures you look online, but all of them have been edited to match its true colour in real life (to my best knowledge) - which means there is NO HEAVY FILTERING, nor EDITS.

Also, when I mention "swapped once", what I mean is I have only dipped into the pigments once, and put it on my skin in one sweep- which also means I did not go back in to build their colour to add on its intensity to look "nicer" in pictures. This is in hopes of showing their authentic colouring and comparison of these products. So you see, all the blushes are actually very smooth and pigmented.

As a consumer, I've tragically bought a mass amount of products thinking that they look gorgeous in their pictures only to be disappointed - because let's face it, some of us can only get some products through online sources so there are no other ways of seeing it truly on your skin. So.. I'm sure all of us want some accurate colour comparisons, unless we want holes in our pockets for nothing right? (:

Thank you for reading this lengthy post, it ended up pretty long despite myself trying to shorten it as much as possible! Please do let me know how you feel about your favourite shimmery blushes and I will be back soon for Part 2 of the Tippy's Favourite Blushes!

Read Tippy's Favourite Blushes Part 2- HERE.

Please remember to follow/ subscribe, share and comment!
Follow me on Instagram: shermaine.ng

No comments: